Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The end of a dream



When I moved to Austin in 2004, it was my dream to attend UT.  I practically bleed orange, my love for that school is so strong.  Everything about it, too.  The campus is amazing.  It's a highly prestigious university.  It's still my favorite place to be in Austin.  Everyone I've met that attends is incredibly smart, well-read, and passionate about what they do or want to do.  They're... driven.

And you have to be, don't you?  To gain acceptance to such an honorable school, to continue on, plugging away towards that ever-so-elusive degree...Now, that's not to say that all who enter leave having accomplished their goals.  It is, however, a HUGE goal to attain.

Lately, however, it's come to my attention that I may never make it to UT.  I haven't done a lot community-wise, although I'd love to.  My GPA isn't good enough; it's a darn good GPA, but not UT-good.  I don't even know that I could handle the pressure of those classes along with my marriage and being a mom.  It's a lot to handle, a lot of expectations.

Today I was speaking with a transfer advisor at the community college I attend.  I must admit I started to tear up when I realized my dream may never be achieved; but then I took a deep breath and got a quick slideshow in my head.  I saw my husband.  My girl.  Our life, and how filled with joy it is.  Do I need a degree from UT?  Or do I just need a degree?

I think we all know the answer to that.  A degree from TX State or St. Edwards is jut as rewarding.  I will have worked long and hard to get my degree from wherever I get it from- and I will have overcome obstacles to get there.  I will cry on that day, the day I walk across the stage to get my diploma, I will cry tears of joy. Of pride. Of knowing that I accomplished something significant.  No matter where it's from.


I'm still going to apply.  And throw my horns up every Saturday.


\m/ HOOK 'EM! \m/

1 comment:

Mom said...

This is so right. Yes UT is a great school but the real goal is to acheive a degree and use it toward something you enjoy. Jeri actually only had a little bit of college. She doesn't have a degree but she used what she got, worked her butt and look at where she is today. I thought about going on to a 4 yr but changed my mind after a couple of years of nursing and realized I had already found my nitch. You can do anything you set your mind to. Love, Mom

 
Web Analytics